Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 1

Hello! I'm Gina and my partner Calum and I have decided to do a juice fast. We watched a documentary called Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead about a man who drank only juice for 60 days to improve his health and quality of life and lose weight. We were totally inspired and decided this is something we need to do to lose weight and be our best, healthiest selves.

We started off by eating mainly fruits, veggies and proteins for two days prior to starting the fast and it sucked. I wanted to punch someone in the face because I wanted chocolate so bad! I was scrounging the house for something sugary and finally I found an almost empty jar of raw honey in the cupboard. I was scraping the sides of the jar with a spoon trying to get just a teaspoon to give me a fix and take the edge off of my cravings. It was a really pathetic sight and if anyone doesn't think junk food is addictive they're crazy.

Anyway, we took pictures in our bathing suits this morning so we could do weekly updates on our progress but our computer didn't want to upload them so we're going to upload them at a friend's house and should have them up by tomorrow night.

Our Beginning Stats:

Gina
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 139.4 lbs.
Measurements: 37.5"-28"-39"
Body fat percentage: 30.0%

Calum
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 192.4 lbs.
Measurements: 39.5" waist
Body fat percentage: 24.0% 

The good news is... I'm not craving sugar at all today! We went to the gym, then made our first juice:

Carrot, Orange and Ginger

6 garden size carrots
4 oranges
small slice of fresh ginger (to taste)

You can't go wrong when mixing carrot and orange. It always tastes awesome! We're using an old juicer right now (Juiceman II) until we have an extra $150- $250 laying around for a new one but it's working fine. The one I want is the Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor that was used in the documentary and seemed to be really efficient and hold up really well.

Our Overall Plan:
  • 4-5 16oz glasses of fresh fruit and veggie juice per day for 30 days
  • 4-5 8oz glasses of water per day
  • herbal tea as needed
  • 15 days of raw foods only following the 30 day juice fast
I hope you enjoy our blog and if you have struggled with your weight or health hopefully our journey will resonate with you as well.

For now I feel great but I'll let you know if by the end of the day I'm wanting to strangle someone :)

Love and blessings,

Gina

1 comment:

  1. I definitely gonna check in on this from day to day, because I would love to see how this works!

    ReplyDelete